Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Field Trip

The piece I chose to blog about is titled " Ceaseless Boundless Endless Joy." It was made with oil paints on canvas by an artist named Todd Norsten in 2008. Todd Norston is an American artist who was born in 1967. I found this piece to capture my emotions for some reason.

At first glance, this piece looked to me like masking tape on a white-painted surface. I disliked the idea that this piece is considered art. It seemed weird because it appears that the artist simply cut strips of tape and laid them down to form letters and words. My first opinion was that anyone could do this ... even a four-year-old could. Anyone could produce the same, or similar, results.

However, after looking at the work for some time in great detail, I had a greater appreciation for it. The craftsmanship of it was far greater than I had anticipated. Making such clean lines and making oil paint look so much like real masking tape is really, very impressive to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment